Saturday, January 31, 2009

Op shop haul


Excuse the belated post, but I wanted to share my haul of op shop treasures from a fortnight ago. Did you know that I dream about op shops? It's disappointing to wake up and peer in my wardrobe only to find it lacking that special something you picked up in a dream for loose change.

Some op shops I return to frequently, others only in a blue moon (which is more common than you'd think!). The above treasures were gleaned from one of my favourites: friendly staff, reasonably well organised, wide selection of stock, and most importantly, APPROPRIATE PRICING. This is something that really frustrates me, as I'm sure it does others. Why do Salvation Army etc think it is a good move to charge $5.75 for somebody's ratty old t-shirt? My opinion is that when op shops are cheap, you end up buying more as it is easier to justify bulk purchases to yourself: I'll use the fabric, maybe my friend would like it, I'll adjust the hem... I think cheaper op shops would make more money in the end (at least they do from me!) Inappropriate pricing really turns me off. This will probably make me sound terrible because all the money goes to charity. I know I'm not alone in this opinion though! If something is worht $10, I will happily pay that. But NOT $5.75 for a rattly old t-shirt.

Now that I'm done ranting, I'll detail the items in the above photo: (L-R) Satin tiger print dress, halterneck zebra print dress (noticing a theme yet?), black strapless dress with sequins, red floral sundress with tulle underlay, black cropped tuxedo jacket, cowl-neck geometric black and white dress, white cotton sundress, cream period shoes with bows, cherry red pencil skirt, black and white ruched top, black lace and sequin shift. And the grand total? $15AU. I was on a high for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment