Monday, May 28, 2012

Thoughts on films

Last week was a bit of a funny one where I found myself working hard but also trying, trying, trying, to activate that film appreciation gland inside me. It's just not happening for me, folks, and maybe I just have to accept my short attention span and inability to sit still (literally, I found myself doing exercises in my chair during The Hunger Games on Saturday).


I don't think it helps that I watched movies on topics I have no interest in. Case in point?
  • Wimbledon. I like Kirsten Dunst and thought this would be quirky and cute. Yawn. Not interested in tennis but did appreciate having some background noise for my marking
  • Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Again, thought this would be quirky and cute. And Ewan McGregor is fun. BUT! Found myself rolling eyes and hoping for the end. Turns out salmon fishing isn't my thing
  • Alien 2. Not my choice (neither was the original Alien a few weeks back). The manfriend keeps telling me that aliens are due for a pop-culture revival (as surely vampires have had their time in the sun?...) Minimal interest (although much respect for Sigourney Weaver)
  • Water for Elephants. I'm just not interested in relationships n' shit. Enjoyed some sparkly costumes but found it easier to focus on my marking 

I'm more interested in Emily Blunt's dress at an LA premiere than in her new film.


So what's a girl to do? Abandon her quest to become cinema literate?

I'm hoping you can give me some gold star recommendations and restore my faith.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Descendants. The acting, setting and gentle tone of the film just worked for me. However J hated it and vowed (for about 20mins)that we'd never go to the movies together again as we clearly had such disparate tastes.

    ReplyDelete