Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wednesday Wrap-Up

Bonjour Sequinettes! Or perhaps I should say ¡Hola! More on that later.


This week’s been a funny one, alright. Last time we touched base I was deep in the French countryside, enjoying a little break from the everyday. Time well spent, breathing healthy mountain air and immersing myself in the history of the region. Also known as, eating a lot of cheese.

Snow!


Remember how I spent Hallow’s Eve touring a13th century Charterhouse with nine Brothers? And sitting down to a delicious meal, followed by chartreuse and mint icecream for dessert? Yeah, that happened.



Obligatory red wine. Not pictured: fromage


Thursday morning celebrated the start of a new month. We piled into the minivan and headed down to the local town for Toussaint mass. It was wonderful hearing a service in French, and singing the hymns. After, I visited the cemetery at the Hermitage and went for a forest walk. Beautiful sunshine put me in high spirits! I may have indulged in my latest guilty pleasure – recording audio messages for friends back home. Most of the time these occur at the end of a long night but this time I was just inspired by nature. Crispy, delicious snowfall.




Hearts on the cemetary wall.

Sun peeking through the trees.


I had a beautiful few days welcomed by the Marist Brothers near St Chamond, but headed back to Lyon on Thursday afternoon for a dinner party, where I learnt a whole list of new French vocabulary. Being surrounded by the language is doing wonders, and every day I come across new words and idioms (usually when reading trashy magazines, I admit…)


Friday morning I explored the beautiful and informative Lumière Brothers Museum (definitely worth a visit!) before catching an eight-hour train back west to my home in Bordeaux. Being Australian, I suppose I’m not bothered by long journeys. Every Frenchie that I’ve mentioned this to thinks I’m insane. Geographical relativism? 



The Lumière brothers (what a name!) were pioneers in photography.

I packed my coloured pencils but forgot my colouring books (that I’m yet to share with you, oops!) Instead I doodled while listening to Radio National podcasts, before getting a bit of shut-eye on the train.

So relaxing.


(If you need a cup of mint tea at this point, it’s probably a good time. Go on, have a slice of cake too.)


Caturday! My favourite day of the week. ‘Twas a bit of a do-day, with many errands to run for the impending arrival of… my parents! All the way from Australia, and only with me for 2.5 days. Totally worth it though.



I also made it out to see the Bordeaux rollerderby, which was just awesome, as expected!


Over the course of these 2.5 days together, we:
  • ·      Met each other at the airport, after successfully navigating all manners of public transport
  • ·      Settled into a B&B that used to be a bordello, as it turns out (and whose owner took great delight in teasing me about my vegetarianism)
  • ·      Consumed a mountain of seafood (them) and some wild mushrooms (me) (remember last time I ate at a seafood restaurant?  Oh dear.)
  • ·      Strolled along the riverfront (a seriously amazing walk) to my beautiful apartment – have I shared photos yet?
  • ·      Drank amazing red wine and nibbled on gourmet desserts with my housemate
  • ·      I may have also taken two very jet-lagged people home early and then partied on with my friend, taking out a not-so-shabby 5th place at the local quiz night
  • ·      Visited France's biggest independent bookstore, where my mother nearly collapsed from the sheer joy of it 
  • ·      Enjoyed beautiful homemade food at an arty café, called … Arty Café





  • ·      Were chauffeured out to the Médoc wine region, where we explored vineyards, châteaux, and tried some very tasty reds (even mom enjoyed the afternoon!)


  • ·      Wined at the Maison du vin and dined at a quaint brasserie where dessert was a party!

Sorbet party

  • ·      Were led on a two-hour guided tour of the historic parts of the city (that I’d whizzed past on my bicycle previously but not really stopped to take in
  • ·      Dined at Paul’s Place, of course 

So good.

  • ·      And walked off all those carbs with a stroll in Jardin Public, which was hosting a beautiful display of autumn colours and the local library, where I borrowed my first bandes dessinées (French graphic novels)



What a whirlwind couple of days!


So why the ¡Hola! ? Yesterday, before heading out for a night of bar-testing (it’s my friend’s job – brilliant, right?) on a whim I purchased myself a flight to Barcelona to continue the fun times with my parents on their European jaunt. 


These mojitos got a pretty good review...

I can only imagine that the coming week is going to be as chargée as this one! Hope you are all enjoying the adventures of life. For now, adios from España!

No comments:

Post a Comment